Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler vs. Altman

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2007

Channing wrote:
"The reasons why I hate this movie are A) It IS an update of Chandler to the 1970's, a place where he doesn't belong and it's incompatible with

his stories. B) It is a typical Altman inversion/perversion of the genre. Philip Marlowe is a product of the 30's and 40's. Chandler captures that period so beautifully, why would you want to ruin it and put it in the disco '70's, with Marlowe driving a flipping Volkswagon beetle."

Everybody burns the toast once in a while, even filmmakers, & makes a bad flick; but that's not your objection, is it? You dislike the film on general principles-those which read, as near as I can figure, that both interpretive adaptations & the work of Robert Altman are worthless & should not exist-a taste issue, & not one of argumentation. As for Chandler "capturing the period," well, it was contemporary for him, wasn't it? Just like the 1970s for Altman? & Marlowe himself is a kind of an interpretation of the chivalrous knight, isn't he? So the issue's a bit more complex than as you present it, it seems.

In the end, like it or not, without Altman we don't get Kansas City, Nashville, M*A*S*H, or Short Cuts, & frankly, that's would just be too sad.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)