Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: No Country for Old Men (the movie)

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 09 Nov 2007

Much of the book is driven by a first-person internal monologue that has -- as far as I recall - no dialogue in it whatsoever. I confess I didn't notice much of the rest of the book to be 'almost exclusively' dialogue either. And I don't think McCarthy's dialogue is particularly taut (he's quite happy to write dialogue that doesn't advance plot). Perhaps the reviewer meant 'In comparison with' rather than 'In contrast to'. Otherwise, very odd observations (to my mind, at least).

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Burridge" < stephen.burridge@gmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 2:22 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: No Country for Old Men (the movie)

Rick Groen in The Globe and Mail gave it a rave. Excerpt:

"In contrast to the baroquely wordy books that cemented his reputation (the Faulknerian locutions of Suttree, the Biblical cadences of Blood Meridian), this one is succinctly plotted and powered almost exclusively by taut dialogue."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)