RARA-AVIS: Lawrence Block -- Evan Tanner

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Nov 2007

I know I'm supposed to be the moderator this month, but as I mentioned, I'm not an expert on Block, just a long time fan. In that light, let me make an admission, and an appeal for info/opinions. I've never read any of Block's Evan Tanner books. I always kind of assumed they were spy novels. Not being particularly interested in reading that genre (yes, I read all of Fleming's James Bonds when I was young, but largely left the genre behind after him), I passed on them. But while recently clicking through Block's site and skimming some synopses, I'm beginning to think I was wrong about his being a spy or secret agent. Seems he's more an international adventurer, even thief. And I'm big on caper novels.

So there was the admission; now here's the appeal for info:

Are these spy novels? Or are they something else? What are they like?

Are they hard or soft boiled?

Are the books self-sufficient or should they be read in order? I have a copy of Here Come a Hero (bought as much for the cover, which looks like McGinnis, as for Block). Should I dig up The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep or will I be okay starting here? Which are the best in the series?

Mark

ps -- speaking of experts, thanks to those who sent me info on Block's early sleaze pseudonyms, especially the links to Lynn Munroe's site.