RARA-AVIS: Ontopicity, respect and the rules of Rara-Avis [Re: Books, Not Raccoons]

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R. Harris"
<brokerharris@...> wrote:

> I've only been active on the list for a short while, and have noticed
> that it generates a high volume of traffic, with many threads
> admittedly moving in somewhat tangential directions.

Yes, the volume and the membership have increased considerably. But we want the volume to be _on topic_ volume. In other words, to maintain the quality of the discussions and the information on rara-avis. It is clear that most members are great conversationalists, interesting people who know much about many things, but this list is only for hardboiled and noir literature and, tangentially, films in those genres. The narrow focus is the price to pay for a high-quality list. And if you think of what hardboiled and noir encompass, the scope is not very narrow at all...

I urge all members to respect the rules and therefore to: a) post on topic; b) exercise civility and respect towards other members when responding to messages. Take a look at the message you are about to send and then remove anything that's a personal attack, dismissal, belittling, etc.

Best regards,

mrt