Re: RARA-AVIS: Raccoons

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2007

Wisconsinite Sterling North published his boyhood memoir Rascal: A Memoir of a Better Era, in 1963, and because of the book's immense popularity, followed it up with a second raccoon book, Raccoon are the Brightest People, in 1966. That one had lots of photographs. It is worth noting that, like my own raccoon, North's Rascal chooses to return to the wild at the end of the book.

An excellent book for those interested in accounts of people's experiences with adult pet raccoons (and many, many other species) is Robert Franklin Leslie's Wild Pets, published in 1970.

I always wanted a pet skunk, but never had that experience. However, after a lifetime with different animals, I can say that dogs and cats do indeed make the best pets, with rabbits, ferrets, and birds of the parrot family close behind. Wild animals and "fad" pets (such as potbelly pigs) are unpredictable pets and not as affectionate as the most popular domestic pets can be.

Mark Harris