Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2007

I don't dismiss Hornung at all. I love Hornung. But his books are our of print. Does anyone else read him except you and me? I literally found ancient editions of his books used in a barn bookseller. Most people today don't know anything about him. This guy did create a new genre, yes, of the gentleman theif, but also of the criminal protagonist. The suspense in Hornung's books wasn't about how do we catch the crook, it was how does the crook get away. I think it was a very interesting twist. His writing is excellent, his characters are vivid, but his work is nearly forgotten while Holmes and Watson are classics. I also love Edgar Wallace. His books, too, are nearly impossible to find in the US. Only used editions. Last time I was in London they were still available. How about now? He was a writer that managed to be both gripping and eerie.

Patrick King