Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

--- JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

  THE MALTESE FALCON, THE BIG
> SLEEP,

They created the genre. And everybody has been imitating them ever since.

> and THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD didn't
> convince
> you?

I don't think it's a genre book. That's what you don't get.

> How
> about Meyer Levin's COMPULSION?

That's bogus. It's a great subject but not a great book. It's indicative of squat in this conversation. And it's also true of others that you mention. If can't make a compelling argument, then dazzle them with pointless details.

> Is that enough? Or when you said a "single example"
> did you literally mean you only wanted me to name
> one?

Yes. But since you never actually read what I write, I'm not surprised.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>