Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler on Film (was Chandler's The Lady in the Lake)

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 07 Nov 2007

In a message dated 11/7/07 1:31:04 PM, demack5@comcast.net writes:

> Mitchum was fine as Marlowe, though not my favorite for the part (that would
> be Powers Booth in the HBO specials). The setting was all wrong. And
> Chandler's prose wasn't meant to be spoken with British accents.

I'll take that a step further and say that Chandler's prose shouldn't be spoken AT ALL. I know he gets a lot of credit for his Double Indemnity adaptation, but naturalistic it isn't

naturalism is where Altman's Long Goodbye excels. the private eye genre in film has all but disappeared in part because of that stylized lack of naturalism

Affleck's version of Gone Baby Gone goes a long way toward restoring naturalism to the genre

Chinatown, perhaps the best private eye film ever: natural as they day you were born

John Lau