RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler on Film (was Chandler's The Lady in the Lake)

From: demack5@comcast.net
Date: 07 Nov 2007

>Robert Mitchum made versions of both Farewell My Lovely (in 1975) and The
>Big Sleep (in 1978). The latter was filmed in England and altered
>accordingly to fit the setting.

And I've never seen Mitchum in Farewell My Lovely, but the version of The Big Sleep with Mitchum was dreadful, IMHO.

Mitchum was fine as Marlowe, though not my favorite for the part (that would be Powers Booth in the HBO specials). The setting was all wrong. And Chandler's prose wasn't meant to be spoken with British accents.

Debbi

--
Debbi Mack
IDENTITY CRISIS