RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler's The Lady in the Lake

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

William Ahern wrote: Poor Ray, he never did a decent film version of his work with the exception of Altman's The Long Goodbye.

Gee whiz. Is this statement sarcastic, purposely provocative, hopelessly uninformed or what the hell? It's a slow morning, so I'll just suggest that some people think The Big Sleep is a pretty decent film, the Hawks version, not the Winner. Murder My Sweet isn't bad, either. And the remake with Mitchum, Farewell My Lovely, is close to decent. In fact, I'd say that poor Ray's works, on average, have been treated better than most.

Dick Lochte