RARA-AVIS: Re: Tie-ins and such

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

Ed,

Re your question below:

"Thanks for all the background on tie-ins. Good stuff. I just wondered about the inception of TV tie-ins. I mean when did TVs first go on the market?"

The first commercial TV broadcast occurred in the UK in the late '30's. There were two different methods of broadcasting, and, as I recall, BBC had decided to try both methods to see which worked best. The two crews both were feverishly working to get their programming material out on the air first to say they were the first. Part of the programming included an original play, written especially for TV, by Agatha Christie. Some years ago MASTERPIECE THEATRE aired a drama about the two crews working to get the first broadcasts ready.

IN the US, TV began to make inroads after WW2 and, by the late '40's, was pretty well established.

Since there was an earlier thread about crime comics being adapted into prose, and since Max Allan Collins is one of the most active current "tie-in" and
"novelization" writers, you might be interested in the third of a trilogy of Dick Tracy novels Collins wrote while he was still employed as the writer of the daily strip, DICK TRACY MEETS HIS MATCH. It's set in 1949, and involves Tracy in the new medium which is already phenomenally popular.

JIM DOHERTY