Re: RARA-AVIS: The definition of classics

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

--- Patrick King < abrasax93@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you mean that you don't believe Sax Rohmer, Edgar
> Wallace & Chandler influenced Fleming in the
> creation
> of James Bond? You believe Fleming created Bond in a
> vacuum? Come on, William! Fleming's characters and
> plot lines scream Rohmer & Wallace, while Bond is an
> English Philip Marlow.

Not only didn't I say that, I didn't say anything close to it. What I don't understand is why you think it's important. What does it have to do with, what does it mean in terms of anything at all? Just because Fleming claimed an "inspired" pedigree that don't mean that dog can hunt. Who cares about inspiration or stylistic lineage. Just give me something I want to read. In my book, Fleming was a fun read when I was a kid but to think he's a writer of lasting value to me at least is not based on who he claims inspired him. I've moved on because other writers offer more than the James Bond so locked in his class-conscious nonsense and that tired sexual aspect that was just as silly with Mike Hammer (unless of course, you're 14 years old). I just don't get your point.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>