Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Tie-ins and such

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

I once raised a baby raccoon for re-release to the wild. Unlike some wild animal babies which can never be returned to the wild, raccoons re-acclimate quite easily. I had the raccoon for about a year. He was awfully adorable as a baby -- rode my shoulder, felt my face with his little hands, etc. As a male raccoon approaches sexual maturity, he does become more snappish and aggressive. I could tell that my dog and cat were becoming nervous around him. So it felt natural that the raccoon would eventually prefer the wild. After taking him out to a forest grove a couple of times, he decided to scurry up a tree and would not come down despite my calling him repeatedly. I took that as a good-bye.

Some people of course have had mature raccoons as pets, but I'll tell you, those hands can get them into a lot of trouble. I'd keep my refrigerator locked, for one thing!

Best regards, Mark Harris

--
Mark R. Harris
2122 W. Russet Court #8