RARA-AVIS: Re: Tie-ins

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

Mark,

Re your question below:

"Where do comic books fit in here? Do they? For instance, I remember Disney comics of Disney productions like Davy Crockett. But were there comic book tie ins to crime movies? Or were they considered to adult for comics, which were pretty strictly for kids back then? Did Dragnet change that, too? I'm sure I've seen Dragnet comic books, and lunchboxes."

DRAGNET WAS on lunchboxes, but not in comic books for some reason. However, there was a syndicated DRAGNET newspaper strip. I think a few examples are posted somewhere on the 'Net. If you're interested, I'll try to hunt them down and post a link.

Crime shows/novels that did make it into comic books include THE UNTOUCHABLES, THE DETECTIVES, 87TH PRECINCT, PERRY MASON, THE MALTESE FALCON, PETER GUNN, etc. MIKE DANGER, the embryonic version of MIKE HAMMER, actually preceded the novels in an issue of THE GREEN HORNET. When Spillane was unable to get a monthly DANGER comic book started, he wrote I THE JURY. Later, HAMMER was a syndicated newspaper strip.

And that's to say nothing of crime-solving characters who started out in comics like DICK TRACY, SECRET AGENT X-9, KERRY DRAKE, JOHNNY DYNAMITE, etc.

By the way, having nothing to do with comics, the Hammer novel in which Hammer fights his way out of a drunken stupor to rescue Velda is THE GIRL HUNTERS.

JIM DOHERTY