Re: RARA-AVIS: Tie-ins

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Where do comic books fit in here? Do they? For instance, I remember
> Disney comics of Disney productions like Davy Crockett. But were
there
> comic book tie ins to crime movies? Or were they considered to adult
> for comics, which were pretty strictly for kids back then? Did
Dragnet
> change that, too? I'm sure I've seen Dragnet comic books, and
> lunchboxes.
>
> Mark

Yes, I bought those Davy Crockett comics and a host of Tarzan comics as well as a bunch of the Carl Barks Disney work. The Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics I still find entertaining.

First of all, start with the comics strip. It is easy for folks now to underestimate how popular and closely followed were the comic strips of the first half of the 20th Century. Some characters began in the strips (Dick Tracy) and then moved into radio, movies and comic books as well as novels. Some, such as Tarzan, began in the pulps and novels and then moved to movies and then the comics strip and then radio. In many ways, Burroughs with Tarzan blazed a trail with extending the franchise into other media.

Many comic strip and comic book heroes transitioned naturally into movies via the serial including Dick Tracy, Red Ryder, The Phantom, Black Hawk, Captain Marvel, Batman, and many others.

Richard Moore