Re: RARA-AVIS: Tie-ins

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

Jim Thompson is another highly regarded writer who accepted contracts to do novelizations of movie scripts and television shows. He did one based on the Raymond Burr series "Ironside" and another for the Rock Hudson/John Wayne movie "The Undefeated." There was more of a stigma then, I believe, on such work-for-hire but Thompson and Brewer were probably happy to get the paycheck. As the old boxing trainer Ray Arcel once said "Tough times make monkeys eat red peppers."

More recently, movie and television tie-in novels are no longer an afterthought or minor marketing promotion by the producers. I am not expert on this, although I am sure some on this list are. My impression is that writers getting royalties developed about the time the Star Trek and Star Wars novels became major sellers. Most of the early novelizations were work-for-hire deals for a flat fee of $1000 or $2000.

Richard Moore