RARA-AVIS: Graham Greene

From: Craig Larson ( CLarson@nhcc.edu)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

I had a professor in grad school who was firmly of the opinion that Greene's "entertainments" were where he was at his best; that he didn't let his concern with dealing with the weighty issues of Catholicism get in the way of telling a good story, and as such, the entertainments allowed him to do both tell a good story and work the Catholic issues into the background. It's been awhile now (1989), but the best college course I ever took was a graduate seminar at Purdue University with this professor (A. A. DeVitis), comparing the work of Graham Greene and Joseph Conrad. Each of us had to take one Conrad and one Greene novel and prepare a class session for each--I turned my work on _The Honorary Consul_ into an entry for Masterplots, with little revision required. Greene's always been one of my favorites and his failure to win a Nobel Prize was (and is) an outright travesty.

Reading that over, I realize it doesn't have a lot of hardboiled content, but just wanted to say I've really been enjoying reading the digests these past few weeks. There've been some great exchanges and a lot of very interesting detail. Thanks for giving me so much to think about.

Craig Larson Maple Grove, MN