Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

The situation seems a little confusing. I just spent about 5 minutes doing Google searches on various combinations of "Graham Green",
"Brighton Rock" and "entertainment". I found several references to
"Brighton Rock: An Entertainment". I also found the following quote from a book called "A Study in Greene: Graham Greene and the Art of the Novel" by Bernard Bergonzi: "Greene originally thought that
"Brighton Rock" would be an 'entertainment'. He changed his mind before the book was published, though not in time to stop the first American edition from being so described on the title page."

The sentence that one is also of interest: "Its roots in popular fiction are evident, both the classical detective story and the tough, fast-moving thriller on the American model."

I don't know anything about Bernard Bergonzi, though the name seems vaguely familiar.

Stephen