Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of classics

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2007

--- Kevin Burton Smith
< kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com> wrote:

> Definitely. So much of what writers say about their
> work is bullshit.
> Or at least highly suspect.

I have no argument with this whole thread on
"intentiion." Except what is being discussed isn't what I really meant. And that's OK because I can see how I was misunderstood. What I meant was not the specifics of intention (eg, the author is intending to write literature or the definitive anti-war novel or a symbolistic work that will drive nuns to madness and marriage) but of its presence in whatever form it takes and whether or not it's successful. In another post, someone mentioned going into a rage over Greene splitting his work into entertainments and serious works. Now that's what I'm talking about. My take on that split has to do with work he saw as personal rather than merely publishable. He's so bloody sensible about his own stuff. And yes, many of those entertainments rock . . .

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>