Re: RARA-AVIS: The Power and the Glory

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

I agree that "The Power and the Glory" is a wonderful book.

I read a bunch of Greene years ago, then began again this year after happening upon his excellent short story "The Destructors". In the last few months I've read "England Made Me", "A Gun For Sale",
"Brighton Rock", "The Confidential Agent", and "The Power and the Glory" -- the books he published from 1935 to 1940, in that order. I think he was basically getting better with every book in that period.
"A Gun For Sale" and "The Confidential Agent" are the entertainments, the other three the more ambitious works, and I think "The Power and The Glory" is easily the best of the bunch. Next up, "The Ministry of Fear" (1943). I have a copy and will read it one of these weeks.

Stephen