Re: RARA-AVIS: The definition of classics

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:
<<They wrote genre that sometimes contained depth. But that was never their intent.>>

Not a good idea to judge artists based on their intentions... By the way, what is "depth"?

<<I don't believe any of the other writers could even imagine let alone create "A Burnt-Out Case' and I think it one of Greene's lesser works.>>

Hard to speculate on what people can or cannot imagine... We do know what they wrote, and that's usually all we know. Personally, if the author gives me a big lecture on what he intended, or on what his personal credo is, I tend not to believe a word of it. I like to read a book and draw my own conclusions about it, react to it, turn it over in my mind.

Best,

mrt