RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: Brian Lindenmuth ( blindenmuth@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

> That'll have to change, Jim. With more and more publishers using POD
> technology to keep their backlist in print at minimal cost, soon

On a side note I've always wondered why more publishers, including the big ones, haven't embraced POD technology as a way to have an increased catalog (i.e. more "in-print titles) while circumventing Thor Power Tool Company v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue (i.e. paying taxes on standing inventory)now that the technology is available.

I can only assume that the bean counters have looked into this. Assuming that they have, what are they seeing that that prevents this change. Historically, it could be argued, change is swift in the industry when it benefits the company. So then, why no change yet, and will we see one, for the simple accounting reason laid out above, in the next decade or so?

Just think out loud

-Brian