RARA-AVIS: Re: Lawrence Block month -- Matthew Scudder

From: Curt Purcell ( curtpurcell@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> If you've never read the series, I'd advise starting with Eight Million
> Ways to Die or

It's been a long time since I read that, and it was my first Scudder, and it didn't do anything for me. I haven't revisited the series until now. I'm about 100 pages into TICKET TO THE BONEYARD, and liking it quite a bit better than I remember liking 8 MILLION (with a caveat or two I'll mention in a separate post). Maybe I need to go back and give the latter another chance.

> What is the proper balance between a hero's personal life and the
> investigation?

Another question would be, how interesting can the investigation be from a fictional standpoint, if it *doesn't* impinge in some dramatic way on the hero's personal life?