RARA-AVIS: Boys in the Backroom

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

William Ahearn wrote:

Since Laura Lippman trashed Edmund Wilson on her blog and I'm working on a piece about Wilson, I figured I'd read this award-winning and highly acclaimed author.

*************** So what did you think of Edmund's Boys in the Back Room? He's mostly an asshole towards the hardboiled genre and some of his comments show a lack of understanding, but every so often he hones in with good perception. It's been a while since I read it, but I think he was good on Steinbeck but poor on Cain.
 I think he calls Cain's writing trash. He made a comment about Appointment in Samarra that showed that he didn't understand one of the main themes of the book.

miker