RARA-AVIS: Spillane

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2007

Of my post on the M-W definition of literature:

  William Ahearn said:

>>Spillane's head will break the ground of his grave and
spit burning devil tongues if anyone ever considers him literature. He's right and it's one thing that endears me to Mickey. He wasn't a pretentious phoney culture-climbing twit. But even in a pomo, decon, woosie and gutless world, Spillane will never be literature. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry.)<<

> I think we need a little more time to
> determine if Spillane is literature, although my
> current
> thinking is that in spite of the negatives about his
> writing, I think it may be, in the longer run,
> literature.

Spillane's head will break the ground of his grave and spit burning devil tongues if anyone ever considers him literature. He's right and it's one thing that endears me to Mickey. He wasn't a pretentious phoney culture-climbing twit. But even in a pomo, decon, woosie and gutless world, Spillane will never be literature. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry.)

> I think we need a little more time to
> determine if Spillane is literature, although my
> current
> thinking is that in spite of the negatives about his
> writing, I think it may be, in the longer run,
> literature.

Spillane's head will break the ground of his grave and spit burning devil tongues if anyone ever considers him literature. He's right and it's one thing that endears me to Mickey. He wasn't a pretentious phoney culture-climbing twit. But even in a pomo, decon, woosie and gutless world, Spillane will never be literature. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry.)

If people are still reading the Mick a hundred years from now, he's literature. We may have to keep him around just to illustrate the mentality of the McCarthy era.

Jack

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/