Re: RARA-AVIS: The definition of literature

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> The books we read are heavy with themes about the
> meaning of life and the nature of morality and truth.
> Although I can understand that some might not be
> interested in it, it seems unnatural that an
> extraction and discussion of these themes would be
> off-topic to the list.
>
> And the idea that a discussion of a critical approach
> to the books we read is off-topic is unfathomable.

I realize I wasn't clear. It is not off-topic if it is applied to our subject matter, which is hardboiled and noir literature. However, if the discussion becomes a general debate on the value of different approaches and methods of literary criticism, it can become off-topic. Just like religion, politics, or sex can come in naturally when discussing a hardboiled book --and that's within what we discuss-- but a general discussion of those topics, unrelated to hardboiled literature, is off-topic. People are interested in many things, but that doesn't mean that they should discuss them all here -- the only purpose of the list to discuss hardboiled and noir literature.

I am not talking about being rigid but simply about staying within the topics for which the list was created over ten years ago. Ontopicity brings many satisfactions, including longevity and, I add from experience, many friendships built around the subject matter.

Best,

mrt