RARA-AVIS: The definition of literature

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Nov 2007

Jim Doherty wrote:

All writing written to be read by the general public, whether or not it actually turns out to be readable, whether or not it is actually published, is literature...
"People who use "literature" when they mean "classic," or at least "good," are being deliberately dismissive of that which they don't like..."

*************** I did a Google search for dictionary, found one, and punched in literature. Here's the first definition:

1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.

So my usage is valid. I have no problem with your definition. Use it all you like. As a matter of fact, it was the second definition in the online dictionary I found.

The idea that my usage is dismissive is correct in as much as calling Einstein a genius is being dismissive of other people.

miker