RARA-AVIS: Re: Mickey Spillane

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 31 Oct 2007

It occurred to me recently that Spillane's work influenced a whole subgenre of writing, (I'm not going to say literature.) I refer to the 'vigilante,lone individual dealing out graphically violent "justice" ' series, like the Destroyer,Executioner, Nick Carter , the Penetrator, et al. Spillane wrote Submariner for comics, and the comics character mostly in the vigilante vein is Marvels' 'the Punisher'. And hey, who else but Frank Miller spent time reviving this character back in the early '80's?. On the other hand, think of the 'Shadow' and the pulp influence of this kind of character becomes clear. What goes around comes around.

--------------------------------- National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV.