Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Crying Out Loud in the Wrong Direction

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2007

--- Robert Elkin < rictusaporia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Except Spade, to Bogart movie viewers, can never be
> a "pleasant blond Satan," & so the entire Faust
> angle is out the window._,_._,___

But isn't that bogging in particulars? As far as The Falcon as a film entity -- granted, films usually aren't great places for books to live as Hitchcock as shown only too often -- translates other elements of the book so strongly that it makes up for whatever short comings are assigned to Bogart in terms of the original character. To me, the strength of The Maltese Falcon isn't in Spade or even its hard-boiled style but in the nature of the story and how it works. That's why it's such a great story to me and while Hammet has been imitated in style, no one seems to be interested in the wonderful mechanics of the novel. Huston nailed that part right on the bleeding head . .
.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>