Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Crying Out Loud in the Wrong Direction

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Oct 2007

Kevin wrote:

"Anyway, solid storytelling and great visuals aren't mutually exclusive. CHINATOWN and NIGHT MOVES, both conceived for the screen, would make dandy novels."

There is a novelization of the latter, by the screenwriter.

Very few movies would measure up if you were to compare them to these two. That's like judging all PI novels against the best of Hammett and Chandler. Few would measure up. I certainly don't limit my PI reading to those that would. Sometimes I like a trashy read that realizes more modest goals, are just fun. That's what Sin City was for me. I wouldn't even think to compare it to Chinatown. It had completely different goals and I had completely different expectations.

Mark