RARA-AVIS: Re: speaking of hardboiled comics . . .

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2007

> Dick Tracy is a pivotal character in our particular
> sub-genre of mystery. Carroll John Daly and Dashiell
> Hammett may have created the hard-boiled detective,
> but the visual image we associate with that figure,
> tall, trim, taciturn, and trench-coated, all under a
> snap-brim fedora, comes to us courtesy of a visual
> artist named Chester Gould.

Speaking of Hammett and comics, you should also check out the Secret Agent X-9 strips he did with Alex Raymond. Likewise, another good strip from a hardboiled prose writer is Mike Hammer. The collected edition of his stories was reprinted in the '80s in two volumes and I think they're still easy to get.

-Gonzalo saddlebums.blogspot.com