RARA-AVIS: Re:speaking of hardboiled comics . . .

From: David L. Wilson ( dwilson@sccn.net)
Date: 29 Oct 2007

A few years years back, as Ready-Made Rubber, I offered a small selection of rubber stamps designed by Richard Sala. One of them was an image of a painter, another was a hard-boiled gunman. In fact, my introduction to Richard was after he'd been quoted in an article and had made a biblio or biographic mistake regarding a crime fiction stylist. Later we made a trade, somewhere around twenty paperbacks .. Day Keene, Gil Brewer, Roy Huggins, Wade Miller, Charles Williams and Jonathan Latimer -- a small treasure trove, certainly ... for a selection of his original artwork. He was also going to do an portrait of Harry Stephen Keeler for a set of trading cards. I got him a photo reference. Well, the portrait was switched, the rubber stamps faded out, for a time, but Sala knows the noir territory. Richard was always a well organized pro with a good work ethic and obviously, a unique style.