RARA-AVIS: Re: Connie Willis

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 29 Oct 2007

Well, the fact is that none of us are as young or as firm as we used to be. Alas. Please don't judge anyone by those standards.

And I posted the link to the video so people could judge for themselves what happened a year ago. As I looked at it again I have to say I am less certain of the intent. Given their history I always thought it was a joke gesture gone awry. Looking at it again, I am more convinced of some variation of that.

But anyone reading my full posting knows it was from a full "fanboy" from a long admirer of Ellison and not to be judged as anything objective.

I am somewhat surprised that (from the basis of the Cleveland article Harlan pointed to) Connie Willis has not responded to his overnighted apology/explanation in the year since he sent it. She could have lifted any cloud from this by her statement.

Whatever. I am not ready to write anyone off on the basis of one event and the fact is the event isn't as clear cut as I once assumed. I guess the bottom line is that I accept Harlan warts and all because of the great pleasure his creativity has given me. I understand that what he may or may not have done during the Hugo Awards ceremony in 2006 is out there and I know there are many other negatives but on a purely personal basis: I DON'T CARE!!!

He has entertained me, he has challenged me, he has enlightened me. As was a common saying in my southern upbringing, the fleas come with the dog and I accept both without reservation.

Richard Moore