Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: At the Movies... (Gone, Baby, Gone)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Oct 2007

Curt asked about my laughing with or laughing at comment about Sin City:

"Why 'laugh'? Why assume the reaction will be negative? Are the hardboiled conventions so ridiculous?"

I didn't mean to imply negativity, don't see humor as inherently negative, quite the opposite. I just meant that in Sin City, comic and movie, Miller pushed the conventions of the genre to a point of absurdity (any genre's conventions would be exposed as absurd when pushed far enough), and that I found that a lot of fun. But I felt I was laughing along with Miller about a genre we both love, absurdity and all. I count myself among those who laughed with the movie, and that was part of my enjoyment. Are you really saying you found the movie entirely seriously, did not laugh while watching it?

As for The Spirit movie, thanks for pointing that out to me. I'm not sure Miller is right for Chandler (though I'm not as convinced he's wrong as many here do), but I could see him being a good match for The Spirit, especially if he goes for Eisner's graphic look. Wonder what he'll do with/about Ebony.

Mark