Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: At the Movies... (Gone, Baby, Gone)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Oct 2007

Kevin,

I'm beginning to think you don't like Sin City.

I don't really see it as a parody or homage. I just see it as pushing the genre to its extreme. leaving it to the viewer to laugh with or at the conventions in stark relief. The connection to Spillane is obvious, but I liked this and I'm not a fan of Spillane. I'm not sure why, probably because I could get lost in the visuals.

Sure, it's style over substance, but what style. Both the movie and the comic. Sure, it's been done in comics before by Alex Toth, Will Eisner, etc, but I don't see any Spirit movie on the horizon (and the TV movie a decade or two ago was pretty lame). So I'll satisfy myself with Sin City. I just thought it was fun in its overblown comic booky way.

As for your rhetorical question about why it was labeled Adult, you've lived below the 49th parallel long enough now to know how we purtians freak out about nudity, and there was lots of nudity, well, female nudity, in Sin City.

Mark