Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross Macdonald

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Oct 2007

--- Bill Crider < macavityabc@gmail.com> wrote:

> William said, " I was just reading The Chill by
> Macdonald and I'm not going
> to bother to finish it. It's really boring."
>
> When I discovered Ross Macdonald in the early '60s,
> I couldn't read his
> books fast enough.

To each their peach said some drunken fool somewhere. I remember reading Macdonald years ago and liking him. The list of writers that I loved in the '60s and now wouldn't bother with gets longer even as my memory shortens. Recently I've just had a major breakdown over mysteries and The Chill is more mystery than semi-boiled detective. I read a mystery by Laura Lippman and it was dreadful, just dreadful, and then Macdonald and there was someone else in there and I just had this bubble rambling around in my brain, bouncing and sliding and ripping up all interest in contrived clues and convienent herrings and all that plodding plotting that leads to a nowhere I don't want to be in . . .

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>