Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Oct 2007

Miller, of course, was in Paris at the same time but considered too shabby to hang with Pappa & Scott, etc. He became friends with Crowley according to Anias Nin, but I don't recall Miller writing about that relationship. Remind me, if I'm wrong, what book it's in. Nin talks about the relationship in Henry & June and Incest. Apparently Miller fell out of favor with Crowley because he borrowed money from him and never paid him back. That's a switch! Crowley, himself, was notorious for borrowing money and not repaying it. Crowley was a croney of Somerset Maugham when they were both in Paris at this time. Crowley made fun of Maugham because he stuttered but was flattered by Maugham's very unflattering portrait of Crowley in his lame early novel, THE MAGICIAN. In his "Confessions," Crowley says a number of very nice things about Maughn's books and his ability as a writer. Certainly true of THE RAZOR'S EDGE & MOON & SIXPENCE. OF HUMAN BONDAGE, while beautifully written, is one of those character studies that goes nowhere for a lot of pages.

Patrick King