Re: RARA-AVIS: Writing is Greatly Overrated; It's the story that counts.

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Oct 2007

But look how often a pretty good story with 2 dimentional characters brings down gold? THE EXORCIST, DAVINCI CODE, and JAWS come immediately to mind. On the other hand, a great character study like MILDRED PIERCE is not as compelling a read. And Cain said so himself. They had to add a murder to make a movie out of it. Certainly, great story, great characters is the right way to go from TOM SAWYER to HARRY POTTER. But if you can only do one of the two, get the story right. The dollar book bins are filled with great character studies and lame stories.

Patrick King