RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir science fiction and I Am Legend movie

From: Paul Farrell ( pmf_nz@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: 28 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:
> I wrote a short piece on 13th Floor on my website in
> the Beast in a Box series. It's a fun little flick.
>
> http://www.williamahearn.com/13floor.html

Thanks - that review sums up the movie well. The film isn't particularly flashy compared to other movies about similar subjects, but it gets the job done. Of the various movies about virtual reality/fake reality that were released in the late 90s (THE MATRIX, DARK CITY, THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR, EXISTENZ, TRUMAN SHOW), DARK CITY and THIRTEENTH FLOOR are my favourites. Galouye's original novel was also filmed for German TV in the 1970s, but I'm not sure if that's been released on DVD.

miker wrote:
> I just saw a commercial on TV for a movie version of I
> am Legend starring Will Smith. Probably closer to
> horror than science fiction, but still on-topic.
> Matheson's novel wasn't great, but it was still
> worthwhile. Since then I've seen him credited for
> several Twilight Zone stories that were fun.

For anyone interested in the latest movie of I AM LEGEND, there are two older film versions of the novel as well: THE LAST MAN ON EARTH and THE OMEGA MAN. Matheson also wrote the story that Spielberg's DUEL is based on.