RARA-AVIS: Re:Writing is Greatly Overrated; It's the story that counts.

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Oct 2007

I partially agree with Jack Bludis' note about the importance of the story. In the world of blockbuster books, the one in which we now find ourselves, story trumps everything. If you want to hit the bestseller lists, an engaging style alone won't be much help; you need a good story, preferably one with the age-old movie necessity high concept. To have a long-lasting career as a writer, however, it helps to be able to tell that good story well. The great comedians, from Bob Hope to Chris Rock, have used jokes that were honed to perfection. But, as anyone my age who used to try and repeat a Newhart or Cosby routine to friends can recall, the delivery can be just as important as the material.

Dick Lochte