RARA-AVIS: Re: At the Movies... (300)

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Oct 2007

Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

> And 300 was much the same, all fat and precious little meat. Except
> it added the gay element. So homophobic 14-year olds could look at
> naked sweaty, well-built men and not have to wait for football
> season. It's got to be about the gayest straight movie ever made.

As a gay man on the list, I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. Not only is the movie homoerotic in its every sinew and fiber, it even presents competing gay styles for your delectation (the hypermasculinized, six-pack-abs, pseudo-leather-bar style of the Spartans versus the simpering, multiply-pierced, heavily made-up, party-boy dance-club style of Xerxes and his entourage).

Previous holder of the "gayest straight movie ever made" title: Top Gun.

I also have to agree about the homoerotics of football. One of the funniest bits I have ever run across on the Internet is this observation by Noah Diamond:

"Football and homosexuality - just something I like to point out. I have no problem with football, and I have no problem with homosexuality - I just have a problem with the fact that the obvious link between these two things is so rarely advertised. Football wears the cultural mantle of the ultimate heterosexual machismo trip - something straight guys love, and something many straight guys feel only a gay guy would dislike. But that's a lie. What football actually represents, I think, is the acceptably mainstream expression of the heterosexual male's closeted obsession with homoeroticism. Say it with me. There is nothing gayer than football. You'll never see a ballet, for example, more homoerotic than a football game. Never! Go to a ballet, and men are dancing with women; go to a football game, and men are patting each other on the ass. Which is the least of it. Fuck, I'll bet most gay porn isn't as homoerotic as a football game - that testosterone-dripping event in which a bunch of big, strong guys line up, bend over, jump all over each other, and then go take a shower together."

Best regards, Mark Harris