RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Oct 2007

Patrick King wrote of A MOVABLE FEAST:

It's a great portrait of people struggling to create; chooseing alies and dealing with professional jealousy, their own, and jealousy aimed at them.

*************** I have mixed feelings about it. I liked it because of the wicked gossip woven into it. Really nasty towards Gertrude Stein and Fitzgerald didn't come out looking very good either. It's been a while since I read it but doesn't it portray the beginning of the collapse of the Fitzgerald family, with Zelda heading towards crazy? My problem with it, though, is that it shows Hemingway's tendency to turn against his former friends, something pointed out earlier by Richard Moore.

As a side note on the who's who in A Movable Feast, I think that there's a reference to a man walking by a cafe with a cape on. It doesn't say, but I've heard it's Aleister Crowley.

And The Sun Also Rises is as near perfect as I need in life.

miker