RARA-AVIS: Re: HB/Noir Parodies

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, sonny <sforstater@...> wrote:

> Recently there was mention of The Night He Cried by Fritz Leiber as a
> parody of Spillane. Of course, more recently Spillane himself was
labeled
> parody, but that's another topic.
>
> I'd be interested in any recommendations of (intentional) parodies of
the
> genre(s). Thanks.

Well, the two other examples of Spillane parodies particularly that come to mind whenever this topic arises are one by Jean Kerr, "Don Brown's Body," and Howard Browne's ghost job for the third issue of his magazine FANTASTIC, published as if by Spillane, "The Veiled Woman." It's clearly a pastiche, but I think there's more than a bit of dig in there, as well.

Robert Benchley is among those who could be trusted to mock CF among his other targets. Thurber's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is as much a parody of pulp adventure fiction of various sorts as a portrait of the presumed fanbase. Even if you are interested in hb parodies only, it's still a vast field, and not a few writers have done affectionate spoofing.

Todd Mason