Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Sci-fi

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 27 Oct 2007

I'm with John on A Clockwork Orange. I recently reread it. Actually, I reread most of it, but read the last chapter for the first time since it had not been included in the US edition when I first read it a long time ago. (Nor was it included in the movie.)

Plotwise, the movie is pretty faithful, but Burgess's book seems darker, less stylized (other than that whole new language thing, which you actually get used to surprisingly fast). Although set in a future, it's pretty firmly anchored in the mod/rocker, Generation X moral panic that was going on in England around that time.

Although I'm not sure his initial US publisher was wrong in cutting the last chapter (adds little), I'm glad that it led me to reread the book. It was truly horrorshow.

Mark