Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harlan Ellison

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 27 Oct 2007

In a message dated 10/27/2007 12:15:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dz@hardluckstories.com writes: When I was in High School I went to Boston's first Star Trek convention
(1976) and wandered into this room where this guy was on stage talking about committing one heinous act after the other. It was spellbinding, and being a dense kid, I sat listening for about 10 minutes before I realized he was an author reading one of his works. It turned out to be Harlan Ellison, and I was hooked on his writing from that day on.

That's funny. As a graduate student, probably in '77, I met him at an SF and Fantasy conference where he was giving out free signed paperbacks, along with Stephen King and others. I got my free book and when the line went down, I walked back up to Ellison, pointed at his stack of books and asked, "Can we have seconds?" meaning, can we conference goers. He said in a loud voice,
"Sex! You want to have sex on the table!" I could tell he loved embarrassing me. We didn't--or I wouldn't be telling this--but that was my introduction to him. I do think he's one of the best SF writers, so I'm wondering if he's still writing. He was insistent on not being called a science fiction writer, however. He just wanted to be known for "fiction," but he lost that battle over and over. Vicki