Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir sf: Leigh Brackett: Moore

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> --- Nathan Cain <IndieCrime@...> wrote:
>
> > I was suggesting that, in certain cases, Henry James
> > might still be read for
> > pleasure. That's an important distinction.
>
> I just think that your dismissal of James was off-hand
> and gratuitous and I'm not a James fan. He wrote some
> books you didn't like? My vanity bonfire would take
> down the island of Manhattan if it contained all the
> bad books by good writers I chose to toss in. The
> ultimate decider of all this is that James will go on
> no matter what either of us say here.

Well, James's style could be called the opposite of hardboiled... but The Turn of the Screw is a fantastic novel. Some of the short stories have also interested me. All of this is not to deny that James's prose suffers from inflationary forces, but he's written good stuff despite that handicap.

Best,

mrt