RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir SF (is that okay?)

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2007

Absolutely, C.L. Moore (no relation) had a noir sensibility and her stories remain highly readable. She and her husband Henry Kuttner collaborated so completely from the time of their marriage that it is hard to separate one's work from the other. The Northwest Smith stories predate (IIRC) her linking with Kuttner, a fine writer with or without his spouse. Most of the mystery fiction from the couple came out under the Kuttner name or the penname Lewis Padgett but some sources say Moore actually wrote some of the final Kuttner novels.

Leigh Brackett and her husband Edmond Hamilton were not known for collaborations although near the end of their lives they did collaborate for a story in Harlan Ellison's LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS, an anthology that never appeared. I understand the collaboration has since been published but I have yet to find and read it.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Crider" <macavityabc@...> wrote:

> Richard Moore's mention of Leigh Brackett reminds me that the
Northwest