RARA-AVIS: Re: bookstore haul

From: Curt Purcell ( curtpurcell@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "sandbagger1969"
<bookgasmbruce@...> wrote:

> Sorry to hear you only have one around you Curt. I've got about 12
> near me all within an hours drive.

If only! No wonder you're always reviewing cool stuff at BOOKGASM.

> Those Butcher books can be a bit rough going, just a big mess.

Heh--well, good thing I paid so little for them, then. A shame if they're that bad, because they actually sound pretty cool.

> I enjoyed Block's A Dance At The Slaughterhouse another in the Scudder
> series.

We'll see how I like BONEYARD before I invest any further in the series.

Michael Robison recommended it here a few posts ago, but I couldn't tell if that was because it was actually any good or if it just reinforced his views about vigilantism. I'm not very familiar with vigilante fiction, and the reason is because the little bit of it I've sampled has amounted to dreckish, sophomoric parables against due process, the whole legal/court system, and all those "bleeding hearts" who believe in such things. For example:

http://groovyageofhorror.blogspot.com/2006/06/ninja-master-skin-swindle-by-wade.html