Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Sci-fi

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 26 Oct 2007

Richard wrote:

". . . sorry but the term "Sci-fi" is considered by some to be a pejorative . . ."

I've heard this, but not being much of an SF reader, I've never understood why. I do understand why some might prefer the label Speculative Fiction because Sci Fi is too confining a term, leaving out many of the subgenres, in much the same way Crime Fiction is preferred by many over Mysteries (which seem from the inside to describe whodunnits, but not so much whydunnits). However, I don't understand why it's seen as insulting. Is it thought of as dismissive?

Mark