Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Sci-fi

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2007

Amy wrote:

I'll suggest checking out "Altered Carbon" by Richard K Morgan. A nice blend of sci-fi and noirishness (if that's not a word, it should be). His later Takeshi novels aren't really all that noirish, but still good reads. Actually, "Altered Carbon" may be considered more hard-boiled than noir, now that I think about it.

*************** Thank you for the suggestion, Amy. I might even have Altered Carbon. I'll look. A couple years back I bought a half dozen or so sci-fi novels mentioned on the list for their noirish disposition. I got bogged down in one about spider-like characters and didn't get very far.

I guess this is not a bad place for a recommendation of my own. There's a short novel called A Plague of Pythons that is good, with a fantastic and ironic resolution at the end. I think it's by Pohl, but maybe Aldiss? Been a while.

miker